Sell or Assign Memberships
Membership plans are created independently from products. This lets you determine how access is granted for maximum flexibility. You can assign 0 or more products (of almost any type) to a membership plan to support several types of memberships:
- sell a membership as stand-alone product — create a product for the membership, then tie the plan to that product to sell it
- grant access to a membership as part of a product purchase — i.e., buy a subscription for a meal box, get access to the recipes section for free
- grant access to the same membership from several products (i.e., a yearly purchase or a monthly subscription)
- assign memberships manually for an invite-only members area
Strategically Grant Content Access
You put a lot of work into your members-only content, so Memberships lets you schedule when your members should have access to it. You can drip content, which means that you can schedule when members should have access to your content. For example, you can require that customers be a member for a week before they can access certain posts or pages.
This gives you more control over how members begin using your site and lets you introduce members to your content at your pace.
When you use this with Subscriptions, you can even determine which content is included in a free trial period with content dripping rules.
Turn Your Store into a Purchasing Club
Memberships lets you create members-only products so that your site can become a purchasing club, or let you offer certain products exclusively to members.
You can restrict product viewing to members, which means these products will be hidden from non-members in your shop. You can also restrict purchasing, which means that products are public, but only members can buy them.
You can also drip product access so that members don’t get access to products immediately.
Offer Better Shipping Options to Members
Members should be your most loyal customers, so giving them perks that encourage them to purchase repeatedly from you keeps them coming back for more. Memberships extends your free shipping settings so you can offer free shipping directly to your members, while requiring non-members to meet other criteria (like having a coupon or minimum order amount).
Reward Members with Special Discounts
Since you may want to give your members certain perks, you can provide member discounts for all products, some products, or certain product categories.
Automatically Show Members Their Perks
While membership management should be easy on you, it should be easy on your members, too. Members can find all of the information they need about their memberships in the Member Area. Members can access the area for any membership from the “My Account” page by clicking “View”.
You can enable any or all sections of the member area to show members a list of accessible content (post and pages), products, discounts, and / or public membership notes. If a member will have access to content in the future, the member can see the access date as well.
Import or Export Members
You have a lot of tools to manage members within WooCommerce, but you may want to connect to other services too, such as importing a member list into an email tool. Memberships lets you export members to a CSV file so that you can get member data out of WooCommerce and into other tools.
You can also import members via CSV to add new memberships, create new users, or bulk-update existing members by merging your file with existing data.
Simplify Communication with Members
When you run a membership site, you spend a lot of time on customer service and managing members. We’ve tried to make that as easy as possible with Memberships. We’ve added “Membership Notes” so that you can track information about memberships for a customer, add your own notes for your reference, and even easily communicate with a particular member by sharing a note with them via email.
You can also use expiration and renewal reminder emails to let members know of ending memberships and prompt them to renew or upgrade.
Memberships + Subscriptions
Memberships is fully functional as a stand-alone membership solution, but it works very well with the most advanced eCommerce recurring payments solution available: WooCommerce Subscriptions.
When both plugins are active, Memberships can leverage some features of Subscriptions to give you more flexibility over membership billing (more details in our documentation):
- Memberships can use recurring billing (i.e., monthly payments) for the membership rather than a set term (such as a year)
- Memberships can use Subscriptions as a payment plan, but control access length itself to support installment payments
- Free trials can be used for the membership via a subscription
- Content restriction and dripping can include or exclude free trial periods so you control what content is available in trials
- Members can pause their own memberships by suspending a subscription
- Members can upgrade or downgrade memberships by switching a subscription
- Upgrades and downgrades can leverage Subscription’s proration to ensure that membership costs are accurate
Even if you don’t want to use recurring billing, you can leverage the other features of Subscriptions by setting the subscription length to one billing cycle so you can take advantage of upgrades and downgrades or trial periods.
Selling Memberships to Companies or Groups
Need to sell memberships to teams, companies, or groups instead? Check out the Teams for WooCommerce Memberships extension, purchased separately. This plugin adds on to WooCommerce Memberships, letting you sell access to a group of users instead of an individual.
Here are Memberships documents (by category). If you’re just getting started, the Quick Start can help you with Memberships basics.
- Quick start / Introduction
- Restriction Modes & General Plugin Settings
- Membership plans
- User memberships
- Restricting content
- Importing & exporting
- Profile Fields
FAQ and Roadmap
- WooCommerce Subscriptions
- Jilt (advanced emails)
- WooCommerce Product Vendors
- WooCommerce Brands
- Groups for WordPress
- User Switching
- Data structure overview
- Frontend hooks reference
- Admin hooks reference
- Functions & conditional checks
- CLI reference
- Guide: Adjusting member exports
Tutorials & Snippets
** = Beginner PHP Skills required
*** = Intermediate / advanced PHP skills required
- Snippet Samples *
- Automatically send member coupons *
- Add a lock icon to restricted posts *
- Send monthly subscriber coupons *
- Set up split / installment payments *
- Memberships + Dynamic Pricing *
- Renewing a trial with a different plan **
- Sorting content in the members area **
- Granting early access to content **
- Add restriction notice merge tags ***
- Customize the members area ***
- Add custom members area sections ***
- Repeating a fixed-date membership ***
- Some other “for devs” tutorials here
For a full view of technical documents and troubleshooting ideas, please see this page.